Wednesday, March 25, 2009


So we're still gaming... Adele's sugars have gotten better in the last few days. Actually, I will rephrase that. The many changes that I made in Adele's insulin dosage scales since the weekend seem to finally be working pretty good. The mild flu that she was fighting at the end of last week (which seems to be what caused her blood sugar to shoot up suddenly) seem to have subsided. The general daily insulin sensitivity / resistance pattern has drastically changed though. Suddenly, she needs a lot less insulin in the late afternoon for some reason. Her sugars have been low before supper for the last 2 days.

Monday, March 23rd
2:45 pm = 4.8 (very good before her afternoon snack)
4:00 pm = 10.3 (a bit high)
5:15 pm = 3.3 (too low, why the sudden drop?)

Tuesday, March 24th
2:55 pm = 5.9 (again very good before her snack)
4:00 pm = 5.6 (I gave her a Fruit to Go since she was dropping – slowly I thought)
5:15 pm = 2.2 (way too low !!! )

So what caused this? The scale that I’ve been using the past 2 days is pretty much the same that I’d been using for at least the past 6 months and now overnight it’s way too much insulin. I can’t explain it. How do I fix it? Well, the scale I used today was 1 unit of insulin for 32 grams of carbs, so tomorrow my guesstimate is 1 unit for 42 grams of carbs? Will this work? We’ll have to wait and see. When playing the Type 1 game the object of the game is to try to predict how much insulin will be the right amount. Sometimes you get it right, other times you don’t…

No comments: