Thursday, December 11, 2008

Flu season continued...

Adele's sugars had been real stable for the past week. She had a runny nose and was fighting a cold on Monday, but it did not affect her sugars. As Adele's cold got better, I started to feel sick. I hate it when I get sick because I just want to rest, relax and try to get as much sleep as possible, but this is not always possible when playing the Type 1 game... I don't want pity, I'm just saying it as it is.

Adele's sugars throughout the day yesterday were really good, then after her bedtime snack she had gone up from 8.3 to 17.3. I knew it wasn't the infusion site since we had just changed it. I corrected conservatively (with a new site like that I often see the insulin being absorbed so well that her sugar drops drastically - not ideal when she's sleeping). That was not the case last night, 1 hour later she had gone up to 18.2, I corrected again. Then 1 hour later, she climbed to 20.9! I corrected again and was quite aggressive. When I checked her before going to bed she was 18.2, at least it was going in the right direction now. Michele got up 1.5 hours later and she was still 17.6, another correction. I got up again at 3 am and she was 12.2, another small correction. So much for a good night's sleep to help get rid of my cold. Adele woke up at 10.2, a bit high.
Why is it with the pump that sugars shoot up very fast like that?

So far today it's been up again to 17.3 and down to 4.2 after almost over-correcting. Just when you think you've got a hold on insulin doses, Diabetes reminds you that hasn't gone away and forces you to go right back to the drawing board... The Type 1 game is rarely boring!

Feel free to leave comments, I'd enjoy some feedback...

No comments: